France’s Humanitarian Strategy
Humanitarian action aims to save the lives of people in communities affected by natural or man-made disasters through missions focusing on providing access to basic necessities such as water, food, medical care, shelter, and improved sanitation. In 2018, France established a four-year humanitarian strategy with the aim of tripling its annual financial contributions by 2022.
From this humanitarian strategy, France wishes to make humanitarian efforts more effective through 3 main pillars broken down into 15 concrete actions .
Humanitarian action is in fact a pillar of France’s foreign policy , which translates the country’s solidarity efforts into concrete terms.
The 3 main pillars :
- Promote respect for international humanitarian law within international structures
- Increase resources and use them more effectively
- Integrate humanitarian action into an approach aimed at lasting crisis resolution
And the 15 concrete actions:
- Build a strong coalition of States to strengthen the protection of humanitarian and medical personnel in conflicts.
- Promote the protection of children in armed conflict.
- Continue its commitment to the “women, peace and security” agenda by supporting actions that provide specific assistance to women and girls to promote their reintegration and empowerment, particularly through income-generating activities.
- Continue to participate in the intergovernmental process initiated following the 32nd International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent in order to reach agreement on a potential forum of States aimed at strengthening respect for international humanitarian law by creating a space for dialogue.
- Continue its efforts to garner as much support as possible, including from the permanent members of the Security Council, for its objective of regulating the use of the veto in cases of mass atrocities.
- Continue to fight against impunity to the maximum extent possible, in particular with regard to violations of IHL in conflicts, and especially in the Middle East.
- Work with its partners and in relevant forums to ensure the full application of international humanitarian law in cyberspace .
- Develop a constructive and demanding humanitarian dialogue through regular consultations with its main partners, whether they are parties to a conflict or new humanitarian actors, in order to promote respect for IHL and encourage possible cooperation.
- Continue its efforts to communicate the principles of IHL to its armed forces abroad and the implementation of its operational practices for the protection of civilians in the theaters of foreign operations.
- Become one of the top three European donors and one of the top five global donors by providing a total of € 500 million in humanitarian aid contributions .
- Develop a new methodology and a simplified monitoring tool for humanitarian funding , which is more accessible and used by all the services concerned.
- Adopt the pilot project in 2018 to harmonize and streamline the reporting processes proposed in the Grand Bargain for all its bilateral humanitarian response funding mechanisms.
- Develop, from the emergency response phase and when the context or the crisis justifies it, a long-term strategy to meet the challenges of the post-crisis and recovery, jointly developed by the French government and all humanitarian response and development actors.
- Apply the OECD gender marker to all its bilateral humanitarian projects and continue to advocate for UN and European agencies, funds, and programs.
- Establish a mechanism for building the capacity of local actors in order to allocate a part of the funds intended for the capacity building of the local partners of each NGO project financed by the Emergency Humanitarian Fund, as well as to set up a marker to measure the degree of localization of its humanitarian action.
National Humanitarian Conference
Every two years, France organizes a National Humanitarian Conference (CNH). Created in 2011, this conference is an opportunity for State representatives to reflect on the objectives and discuss humanitarian action and the partners involved. It is a means of reporting on the nation’s humanitarian commitments . The mid-term review makes it possible to measure the progress made on the 15 specific commitments and to analyze any difficulties that may have arisen. It also aims to identify potential problems that could arise in the next two years.
The CNH is organized jointly by the Crisis and Support Center of the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs and the French international solidarity NGOs united within Coordination Sud . It brings together humanitarian actors engaged internationally, the State, parliamentarians, international organizations, and business foundations.
The 5th edition of the CNH was held on December 17, 2020 . Given the COVID-19 pandemic, its work took place in a virtual format and brought together more than 700 participants.
(Photo from the 4th French National Humanitarian Conference. Retrieved from https://defishumanitaires.com/en/tag/national-humanitarian-conference/ )
France . Donor Tracker. (2021, September 26). Retrieved October 6, 2021, from https://donortracker.org/country/france .
French national humanitarian conference, 2020 . URD Group. (2020, December 22). Retrieved October 6, 2021, from https://www.urd.org/en/news/french-national-humanitarian-conference-2020/ .
Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs. (nd). France’s humanitarian strategy (2018-2022) . France Diplomacy – Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs. Retrieved October 6, 2021, from https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/emergency-humanitarian-action/france-s-humanitarian-strategy-2018-2022/ .
UN Foundation makes robust gender equality commitments during the Generation Equality Forum in Paris . unfoundation.org. (2021, June 30). Retrieved October 6, 2021, from https://unfoundation.org/media/un-foundation-makes-robust-gender-equality-commitments-during-the-generation-equality-forum-in-paris/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzOqKBhAWEWEiwArQGwaIUbdhukTirkbtiwArQGwaIUbdhukTirkbtiwArQGwaIUiJUjukTirkbtiwArQGwaIUbdhukTir8RBQA -3hYqoajiGuRoCFDcQAvD_BwE .